The National Bee Unit is the part of The Animal and Plant Health Agency which supports the beekeeping industry:
- Phone 0300 303 0094
- Email email@example.com
Beekeepers who register with the NBU will be informed of serious disease outbreaks in their area. Their web site, BeeBase, has much useful information: their publications page has very good Advisory Leaflets, Best Practice Guidelines and Factsheets. There is also a photo gallery which includes good images of pests and diseases.
The NBU provide a testing service for all types of bee diseases and a sample submission form can be downloaded from their web site. The testing is chargeable unless submitted by a Bee Inspector.
The Seasonal Bee Inspectors for our area, who should be contacted if you suspect you have a notifiable disease at your apiary, are:
– for Gloucestershire (excl Wye Valley): Elizabeth Gardner firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile No: 07867 351610
– for Monmouthshire: Adam Parker email@example.com Mobile No: 07990 138902
– for Forest of Dean and Herefordshire: Jonathan Axe firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile No: 07867 151641
The Regional Bee Inspectors for our area, who should be contacted outside of the beekeeping season, are:
– for Western: Colin Pavey email@example.com Mobile No: 07775 119471
– for Wales: Francis Gellatly firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile No: 07775 119480