Our Thursday evening apiary sessions begin again on Thursday 5th April. Hopefully the weather will be kind and we’ll be able to open the hives to check how they have fared over winter. We know we’ve lost five hives due to suspected isolation starvation during the recent cold spells but hopefully the rest will be doing well.
Now is a good time to think about what you want to achieve with your beekeeping this year. What do you want to gain experience and knowledge of through your attendance at our teaching apiary? For example:
- Gain confidence in marking and clipping queens
- Improve your swarm prevention
- Learn how to build your hives correctly
- Use smoke to control your colonies
- Deal with a defensive hive
Alternatively, perthaps you just want to hang out and have fun. Whatever it is, chat to one of the leaders and we’ll make a plan to ensure you get what you want.